Last weekend Club Crew had their first race, this was nothing but an experience for every single team member I would say. We learned how to work under stress, compete against other teams, and what it means to learn from our mistakes and keep charging on. There were two key moments that really stuck out to me from this day, the gameday jitters were among us causing us to get frantic and there was a moment about halfway through the course where everything we have been working at this semester just clicked and there was this mutual feeling that “it’s ok, we can do this, I know how to do this and I will do this” and at that moment we began to slowly creep up on our fellow competitors and excelled forward, we finished together as a team, not as individuals but as one, this will forever be a moment I will remember and cherish.

Another moment that stuck out among others was after the race we all gathered together and we talked, and in that conversation, our coach said one phrase that hit a little bit harder and it was “I am proud of you”, a phrase that is often thrown around without caution, but this time it meant something, it meant that all those hours on the water, in the gym, and together paid off and was transforming into something wonderful. We were becoming not just students who practiced together but a team with a passion and a goal and at that moment one person was proud of us, he was a proud coach, a proud spectator, and our biggest cheerleader.

This weekend we have another race, the outcome is unsure, but one thing I can promise is that bulldogs always show up, work hard and have fun, and that is all that matters at the end of the day.

– Lauren Salela

Posted by mvaughn